Get your ow
n diary at! contact me older entries newest entry

2002-10-23 - 9:33 p.m.

Poor Virgil. He went to the vet today to be neutered. He hated going, I hated leaving him, and it sucked. Buuuuut...we get to pick him up tonight and take him home, and the vet already called to say that he was fine. So it will be okay.

Last night, I think he knew something was up. We put his food away as soon as we came home, so he didn't have something to do when he woke up at 5 in the morning. So instead he sat on my nightstand and batted things around. Including my glasses and one of my eight million tins of lip balm. I kept begging him to stop...then he sat on the windowsill and kept waving his tail in my face. I know he did it on purpose. After about an hour of this, I finally got him to calm down. I laid down with my head at the foot of the bed, and started patting him. He was just getting to that quiet-purring-eye-closing phase when the garbage truck came to empty the dumpster, very loudly, at 6:01 am.

Now, this is VIRGIL'S dumpster. He sits on the windowsill and watches it all day. There are birds that land on it, cats that go in it, and people walking by it all the time. In short, very exciting to watch for an indoor cat. When he say the truck lifting up the dumpster...

must go pick up cat from vet. more later.

...he began GROWLING. He was MAD. That **thing** was messing with HIS dumpster. Virgil growled, hissed, and pawed at the window. I tried to reassure him that his dumpster would be okay, but I don't think he believed me. Finally the dumpster was dropped, and Virgil ran out of the room with a yowl.

I thought this meant that he would leave us alone, but no. He began crying in the hallway. I had to pee, and I was tired of fighting with him anyway, so I went out into the hall, pet him for a minute, then into the bathroom. The whole time I was in there, he sat outside the bathroom and cried. When I got out, I heaved a huge sigh, and rolled his little tennis ball around for a while, for him to chase. At one point, Matt's groggy voice came out of the bedroom, "Hey, since you are going to stay out there with him, will you turn off the hall light so it's not in my face?"

"No!" I snapped. If I had to be awake, then HE had to be awake. Unfortunately, Matt can sleep through everything. The next thing I heard from the bedroom was heavy, even breathing.

After about 20 minutes, I decided that I had given the cat enough attention, and started debating whether it was worth it to go to bed, or to just stay up throughout the day. Sanity and exhaustion won out, though, and I went to bed. "You're just going to have to amuse yourself, buddy," I said to the cat.

I crawled into bed, next to a sleeping Matt. My stomach started to growl. I'd been up for an hour and a half, so my stomach assumed it was time to eat something. Groan. I rolled over, covered my head, and willed myself to sleep.


previous - next

about me - read my profile! read other Diar
yLand diaries! recommend my diary to a friend! Get
 your own fun + free diary at!